Manchester City players wore special Puma jerseys made from recycled soccer jerseys as part of Puma’s Re:Jersey recycling project ahead of the Premier League match against Watford (score: 5-1) on April 23. Re:Jersey aims to reduce waste and pave the way for future circular production models. While Puma’s soccer jerseys are already made from 100 percent recycled polyester, Re:Jersey jerseys are made from 75 percent recycled soccer jerseys. The remaining 25 percent comes from Seaqual® Marine Plastic. From Monday, Puma will set up special collection bins at the City Store next to Etihad Stadium to ask fans to donate their old polyester jerseys to be part of this garment recycling project. The club will also set up collection bins in other parts of the Etihad Campus. For more information on how fans can participate in Re:Jersey, visit www.mancity.com/rejersey.

In the recycling process used for the Re:Jersey project, even old garments with logos, embroidery and club badges can be used, as the material is chemically broken down into its main components (depolymerization). The dyes are then filtered out, and the material is chemically reassembled into a yarn (repolymerization) that has the same performance characteristics as new polyester.

“As part of our Forever Better sustainability strategy, we want to take more responsibility when it comes to the end of life of our products,” said Matthias Bäumer, general manager teamsport at Puma. “With Re:Jersey, we are taking an important step in garment-to-garment recycling which will help us reduce waste in the future.”

The products produced as part of the Re:Jersey project will also be used in the upcoming warm-up games for Manchester City’s women’s team against Leicester on Sunday, as well as Puma clubs AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund and Olympique de Marseille in April and May.

Re:Jersey is part of Puma’s Circular Lab and its Forever Better sustainability platform. Also part of Circular Lab, Puma already launched the Re:Suede project in Germany earlier this year, testing whether the company can produce a biodegradable version of its iconic Suede sneaker.

ManCityREJersey

Source: Puma

ManCity Re:Jersey